We’re not talking here about the services provided by ad services such as blurbmobile or Wraps On The Go who will place your ads on or around moving vehicles. Instead we are focusing on how to advertise in this modern world where everyone is almost constantly in motion. How do you send your selling message to people on the go?
Google Adsense proclaims that with their ad service: you can easily show AdSense ads on your website, mobile sites, and via site search … users with the right ad at the right time as they seek information on the go. What they are suggesting is that via smartphones and other mobile devices you will be able to get your message in front of their eyes.
That of course assumes that they are not occupied in concentrating on other activities, perhaps driving their automobile or operating a possibly dangerous piece of manufacturing equipment. Assuming that they can divert a small amount of their attention to other inputs, how can you get their interest.
Advertising with Radio
For that you should go back to technology that is more than one hundred years old. The first wireless radio broadcast was made on Christmas Eve in 1906 by Reginald A. Fessenden. Although most people now spend hours before their television screen or computer display every day, many will spend at least some time listening to their radio. Here is your opportunity, you can always advertise on radio.
This should not be regarded as a secondary method of advertising, since it has some particular advantages. Here are ten reasons why it makes sense, courtesy of the Radio Advertising Bureau:
- Radio sells with immediacy
- Radio sells everywhere
- Radio sells with intimacy – you can communicate with the emotional side of your target audience.
- Radio stars in the theatre of the mind – you can paint images in the mind
- Radio escapes advertising’s clutter – it devotes less than 1/5 of its time to ads
- Radio is cost-effective – radio’s advertising cost has grown less than any other form of advertising.
- Reach is nice, but frequency sells – it is affordable to target your audience effectively and as often as possible.
- Radio’s targeted advertising sells – it can best match your clients’ target interests.
- You’re always on the front page with RADIO
- Radio is an active medium in an active society
Advertising on the radio is probably not your sole choice in your advertising budget, but it certainly should not be forgotten as a complement to other more expensive advertising media.